[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Apr 10 06:44:27 PDT 2009

C. Titus Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:33:56AM -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
> -> I want u to think, and pls tell me if DiscoveringTestSuite is mixin
> -> phase 1 (carried on by test loaders) and phase 2 (carried on by suites
> -> and test cases), or not. I want u to tell me if this class combines
> -> two orthogonal roles, mixing things and negating traditional XUnit
> -> separation of concerns.
>
> Hey Olemis,
>
> just one quick comment to cut through the thicket of
> challenge/responses:
>
> Practicality beats purity.  Quoting XUnit Patterns to me and/or basing
> your discussion on nomenclature taken from XUnit Patterns isn't going to
> convince me ;).  Actual examples of screwups caused by such decisions
> are more interesting than citations, at least to me.

Me too I'm afraid (at least I'm not even trying to be an academic
though!). I have *no* interest in keeping unittest to some notional idea
of xUnit purity, but in developing it to be a practical tool for testing
in Python.

I think some of the proposals currently advanced (all of which come from
practical experience in other Python testing frameworks) go a long way
towards that.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog