[TIP] Nosejobs!

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Apr 9 12:32:16 PDT 2009

Hi Jesse, Doug, all,

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 14:54 -0400, Jesse Noller wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Doug Philips <dgou at mac.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Given the cross-polination between nose and py.test I would be suprised if this ability weren't already on the radar of the nose developers. Ideally it could be abstracted out for other testing frameworks to use too.
> [...]
> > And if py.execnet/py.test/any other open source work can save me time:
> > I plan on absconding with it/using it. I'm not a fan of wheel
> > recreation. Yes, I have looked at alternatives - my goal is to make
> > this as automatic as possible, support multiple languages for tests,
> > and *not* require that a test be written *for* the framework. A test
> > should be as simple as a shell script, or as complex as you want, it
> > should not have to know about the framework running it.
> >
> > -jesse

Just to let you know: i share most of this world view and principles.
I have an additional focus on zero-installation techniques,
i.e. having code interact in a network such that I do not
need to manually maintain server/client code.

Related to another post of yours: It's true that
day long-running tests would be problematic for the current
py.test/execnet code.  More async communication is needed in
this case.  Maybe by reporting to an http-service where
correlation is done by some unique test run id.  One can
then do reporting and programmatically access the results.

cheers,
holger