[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:25:23 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:48:45PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> -> There is a desire in the Zope 3 world to migrate away from our own test
> -> runner to something more standard (probably nose), but nobody has the
> -> time to work on that (and we have features---such as test layers with
> -> a single expensive setUp/tearDown function pair wrapping multiple
> -> tests, with the tests grouped into layers according to the 'layer'
> -> attribute of the individual testcases/suites coming from various
> -> locations in the tree---that AFAIK nose doesn't have).
>
> I think a good GHOP/GSoC and/or sprint project would be to take all the
> !#!#$! test framework additions that Zope and Twisted and Django and Resolver
> and ... have implemented, put them in a big room, let them beat each
> other's brains out, and then propose some simple subset (hah!) for
> addition.
>
> This tendency of each project to (re)invent useful, interesting, and
> proven little tidbits of functionality and then HIDE them in
> impenetrable layers of Python code is starting to get on my nerves ;)

You have a very good point here ... One of the examples is the
multiple implementations of monolithic doctest output checkers (we
have examples like the one in Django test suite, and the ones provided
by lxml package ;) revealing the drawbacks of non-structured design.
Since this points out to be an instance of Chain of Resp antipattern,
I also envisioned to include some kind of (non-invasive) architecture
for checkers in dutest ...

You know, if I never get there (not enough time), please tell Dulcinea
del Toboso that she's the most beautiful in the world and I've always
loved her ...

I mean If I never get there at least you got the idea ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Se retira el BDFL ... ¿El fin de Python 3k?
- http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-es/~3/HpncxTKfB1c/se-retira-el-bdfl-el-fin-de-python-3k_02.html