[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 01:34:10 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:48:45PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> -> There is a desire in the Zope 3 world to migrate away from our own test
> -> runner to something more standard (probably nose), but nobody has the
> -> time to work on that (and we have features---such as test layers with
> -> a single expensive setUp/tearDown function pair wrapping multiple
> -> tests, with the tests grouped into layers according to the 'layer'
> -> attribute of the individual testcases/suites coming from various
> -> locations in the tree---that AFAIK nose doesn't have).
>
> I think a good GHOP/GSoC and/or sprint project would be to take all the
> !#!#$! test framework additions that Zope and Twisted and Django and Resolver
> and ... have implemented, put them in a big room, let them beat each
> other's brains out, and then propose some simple subset (hah!) for
> addition.

Ha!  Repeating what you privately told me about a similar topic :)
Fat chance...
But, would love to see it none the less.  Since PyCon is in Atlanta
next year, we could do this on the river they are about to shut down.
A white water rapids adventure with test frameworks, and opinionated
web developers.  All the losers have to squeal like a pig...

> This tendency of each project to (re)invent useful, interesting, and
> proven little tidbits of functionality and then HIDE them in
> impenetrable layers of Python code is starting to get on my nerves ;)
>
> Maybe this would be a good topic for next year's TIP BoF: "How our own
> little corner of the Python world has warped and twisted the standard
> Python unittest/doctest/etc. framework to fit our needs".  Format:
> deathmatch lightning talks...
>
> crotchet-ily yours,
> --titus
>
> p.s. It should be possible to write a big, nasty plugin for nose that
> would do the layers thing.  Not sure.
> --
> C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu

Cheers,