[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Apr 7 08:33:12 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:33:56AM -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
> >> We should allow test_suite to return None by the way - meaning no
> >> tests for the module / package.
> >
> > Uhm, sure.
>
> Why not just [] - empty list - ?

That doesn't make sense to me -- test_suite() returns a
unittest.TestSuite (or something that quacks like one).  I can see
stretching that contract to return None, but not a plain list.

Did you mean unittest.TestSuite([]) ?

> [...]
>
> I'm skipping a long complicated list of arguments here, whcih
> indicates the complexity inherent to this impl, not to mention the
> intrincated semantics
>
> Finally. I repeat. Why not to use dutest? What's wrong with it?

(tongue-in-cheek) it's not in the stdlib?

Honestly, I don't believe I've ever heard of dutest, and if I had, I
couldn't figure out "what does it give me over doctest's unittest API".
I'm now reading the PyPI page and falling asleep in the middle of the
first bulleted item...

Marius Gedminas
--
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.