[TIP] test results tracking, etc...

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sun Apr 5 22:14:44 PDT 2009

On or about 2009 Apr 5, at 10:09 PM, Robert Collins indited:

> On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 21:38 -0400, Douglas Philips wrote:
>> Thanks, does that mean it can be used without subprocesses getting
>> involved?
>
> Yes.

OK, then I'll have to take a look at it again tomorrow.

> Sure. So AIUI you have N pieces of hardware, running tests. You want
> collect the tests to a central place as well as showing them as they
> run
> in the buildbot UI.

Correct.

> The way you'd use TAP is to have the tests output TAP, and then use a
> TAP reporter in the buildbot UI and also in the central place. The
> machines running the tests do not need to spawn new processes at all.

Yes, and that "duplicated output" doesn't necessarily have to be of
the same format (I've been reading the docs on the standard library
logging module, since reusing that is "free" (i.e. no install, etc.)).

> Subunit works in the same way; the support for subprocesses in it is
> for
> a particular use case - one you can completely ignore.

ok. my concern at the moment is trying to work out a robust but simple
reporting format and then move on to specific tools.

> Specifically ProtocolTestCase is the deserialiser for subunit, and
> TestProtocolClient is the serialiser.

That was the bit I didn't understand, thanks.

--Doug