[TIP] TAP (was Re: test results tracking, etc...)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Apr 5 20:38:03 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 20:24 -0700, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:01:42AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> -> TAP is a very perl centric protocol in my experience. From your
> -> mentioning TAP I assumed you would be grabbing one of the mature TAP
> -> frameworks that do test reporting, which is what prompted my comment :).
>
> I only mentioned TAP because I assume it's fairly mature.  Is this not
> the case?  (I'm assuming "perl-centric" means "immature and CSV-based",
> which may reveal my own biases a little too much.)

TAP has been around for ages; but it doesn't map well into xUnit or any
of the other larger scale test environments I've seen. It doesn't have
any metadata about fixtures, and it certainly can't reproduce python
unittest tests as smoothly as subunit can :).

It's website is at: http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

There are a significant number of TAP producers for different languages
around, but they are not generally integrated into those languages unit
testing toolkits (largely IMO because TAP doesn't do structured
testing :)).

I'm extremely interested in adding anything people need to subunit; the
user base is fairly small [by project count] at the moment, but people
seem to like it, and its being used by some decently sized projects.

-Rob