[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sun Apr 5 09:17:19 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:33 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:18:36AM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> > Honestly, I don't get why people are eager to add code to
> > python standard lib.
>
> There's a natural desire to minimize the dependencies in your code.  If
> stuff you want is in the stdlib, you don't need any 3rd-party package
> dependencies to use it, therefore people want to get the stuff they like
> into the stdlib.

I wonder how much of this desire actually roots in the lack
of a standard way to install and nicely manage dependencies.
With standard i mean something that the standard Python releases
provide and which is collectively maintained and build upon.
I saw many hopeful signs for the better at Pycon 2009, fortunately :)

> Also, having something in the stdlib (assuming it is good enough) means
> it's easier to choose one of several competing APIs that 3rd-party
> packages may provide.

I mostly regard Python standard's lib as a useful
collection of modules and data types, not so much
as a set of APIs that one can write its own
implementation for.  Certainly makes sense to
re-use concepts and "best practises" found there.

best,
holger

Metaprogramming, Python, Testing: http://tetamap.wordpress.com
Python, PyPy, pytest contracting: http://merlinux.eu