[TIP] Curmudgeonly OT thoughts

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sun Apr 5 04:24:11 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 02:14:23PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> "C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:33:38PM -0500, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> > -> [one day I'm going to hack into Titus' mailman and set default
> > -> reply to "all." you've been warned!]
>
> Mailing list software has no business messing about with the Reply-To
> field <URL:http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful>.

Having once sent my personal details by accident to a list that munged
reply-to, I can only heartily agree.

> > Yes, I often get tripped up by the complexities of "reply to all" vs
> > "reply to single" in my mailer. Mutt's hard to use that way.
>
> Not at all. Mutt supports “reply to list”, which Does The Right
> Thing: reply to the list address as declared in the header.
>
> Press <L> when viewing a list message in Mutt to reply to list.

It only gets slightly confused when the list happens to have *two*
addresses, like, say, testing-in-python at lists.idyll.org *and*
tip at lists.idyll.org.  The confusion manifests by emails getting sent to
both addresses when you use Mutt's list-reply.

> > Not to mention the ellipsis filter that I apparently need to put in
> > place for Olemis -- only one ellipsis allowed per paragraph, max!
>
> I'm glad I'm not the only one. Let's start a campaign of private
> replies to Olemis fixing his use of punctuation :-)

:)

Marius Gedminas
--
To stay awake all night adds a day to your life.
		-- Stilgar (Frank Herbert _Children_of_Dune_)