[TIP] Curmudgeonly OT thoughts

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 3 20:14:23 PDT 2009

"C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:33:38PM -0500, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> -> [one day I'm going to hack into Titus' mailman and set default
> -> reply to "all." you've been warned!]

Mailing list software has no business messing about with the Reply-To
field <URL:http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful>.

> Yes, I often get tripped up by the complexities of "reply to all" vs
> "reply to single" in my mailer. Mutt's hard to use that way.

Not at all. Mutt supports “reply to list”, which Does The Right
Thing: reply to the list address as declared in the header.

Press <L> when viewing a list message in Mutt to reply to list.

> Anyway, while you're at it, could you hack into gmail and disable
> their hiding of quoted text in e-mails?

If this would lead to GMail users adopting “inline reply” style
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Inline_replying>, I
heartily approve.

> Not to mention the ellipsis filter that I apparently need to put in
> place for Olemis -- only one ellipsis allowed per paragraph, max!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Let's start a campaign of private
replies to Olemis fixing his use of punctuation :-)

--
 \       “The future always arrives too fast, and in the wrong order.” |
  `\                                                    —Alvin Toffler |