[TIP] Test discovery for unittest

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Fri Apr 3 19:27:02 PDT 2009

-> Michael Foord wrote:
-> > For those who might be interested I've been playing with test discovery
-> > for unittest. I have a simple working prototype in about 80'ish lines of
-> > code.
-> >
-> > http://code.google.com/p/unittest-ext/source/browse/trunk/discovery.py
-> >
-> > I'll be using  this sandbox to turn unittest into a package as well.

Then Ned Batchelder wrote:
-> This sounds like what nose does.  Are you taking a different approach?

I hope he is; now that nose and py.test have converged on both test
discovery and plugin running, there's room for another unit test
discovery framework.  I'd prefer something as different as possible, in
fact; while I'm a huge fan of the simplicity and readability of nose
test files, I know that some people really like e.g. deep inheritance
hierarchies of test code.  A test discovery framework that supported a
much more complicated test layout would really fill an unoccupied niche,
I feel.

One can only hope it will get added to the Python core quickly.

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu