[TIP] cleanUp for unittest

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Apr 3 13:07:20 PDT 2009

holger krekel wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 19:58 +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
>
>> I have no idea whether this particular feature is in other xUnit
>> inspired frameworks. Irregardless, unittest is a Python testing
>> framework and development should be driven by patterns useful to testing
>> Python - and whether or not similar patterns are used elsewhere is
>> more-or-less irrelevant. For example, you would never implement this
>> feature in this way in Junit because Java has no first class functions.
>>

> When targetting "testing" in general i'd rather not aim too much for
> changing unittest.py.

Sure, you don't use it. :-)

> As guido says the standard library is for
> dead code and at least i don't consider supporting better ways for
> functional and integration testing with Python to be a
> dead-code project :)

His word was stable, not dead.

We should be conservative, and with a new release every 18 months
standard library modules *can't* grow rapidly, but we will continue to
see unittest grow and adapt to testing needs and useful patterns.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog