[TIP] the best time to start doing a test?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 29 17:56:59 PDT 2008

"Alfredo Deza" <arufuredosan at gmail.com> writes:

> A Python developer and friend of mine told me to start in the good
> habit of writing tests for my code.

I encourage you to continue getting advice from this friend :-)

> Although I find this as good practice, I was wondering when exactly
> is a good moment (in the coding process) to start writing a test for
> it.

I find that the best way to know *how* to write the code is to think
about how the code is supposed to *behave*.

Writing a test for the code encourages me to state in unambiguous
"true or false" statements exactly what the code will do, in terms of
its observable behaviour on entities outside itself +IBQ- i.e.,
desigining the API (including function signature, return values,
access to libraries, etc.)

This is what I like to call "behaviour-driven development"
<URL:http://behaviour-driven.org/>; some speak of "test-driven
development", but I prefer the term "behaviour driven development"
since the focus is on the immediate goal: The next change I want to
see in the behaviour of the program.

* Start with a project under version control, and an automated unit
  test suite that currently has no failing tests. If you have no unit
  tests yet, you'll have no failures yet of course, but you should be
  able to add new tests easily and then run a single command to get
  all of them run and reported.

* Begin with a unit test suite that has no failing tests. If you have
  no tests yet, this is easy :-) Your project should be under version
  control, with no outstanding changes against the latest revision.

* State, out loud either to your programming partner or to your rubber
  duck <URL:http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubberDucking>, the next change in
  behaviour you want to see in the program. This needs to be a very
  simple change that can nevertheless be detected from outside the
  code module by making true-or-false assertions about what the code
  *does*.

* Write a new test that exercises the behaviour and makes *exactly
  one* true-or-false assertion about the behaviour. Exercising the
  behaviour might require setting up some initial state and/or
  providing input parameters; the assertion might be about the return
  value, or about the change in some state, or about the fact that a
  particular library function was called with specific values.

* Run the entire test suite and watch the new test fail. If the test
  doesn't fail, make sure your test is actually testing something of
  interest! A failure from the new test at this point gives you
  confidence that, should the behaviour regress, your unit test suite
  will catch it.

* Change the program in the simplest, laziest way you can think of to
  make the entire test suite, including the new test, pass. Don't
  worry about whether it's repetetive or ugly at this point; just do
  the simplest thing that could possibly work
  <URL:http://www.xprogramming.com/Practices/PracSimplest.html>.

* Run the entire test suite and watch all of them pass. If they don't
  all pass, you need to repeat changing the code or, sometimes, the
  test (if e.g. your design is flawed, or your test is testing the
  wrong thing). I like to have the test suite running continuously in
  the background, so that as soon as I've made a change in my code I
  can switch to the test suite window and very quickly see the result
  without having to run any command.

* Once the entire test suite is passing, *now* you go back to your
  code and clean it up. Don't restrict yourself only to the new code
  you just wrote; if some other area would benefit from cleanup at the
  same time, and that code is covered by unit tests, now is the time
  to clean it up. Do *not* change how the code behaves; refactoring is
  strictly a change in the implementation, not behaviour.

* Run the entire test suite again, to know that the refactoring didn't
  break any tests. If any tests fail, you know it was caused by the
  refactoring work; go back and fix the code (or the tests) until the
  entire test suite passes.

* Commit the project to your version control system, describing the
  change in behaviour you just implemented.

* Repeat from the top, by either writing a new test to make another
  specific assertion about the new behaviour, or stating another
  change in behaviour to be satisfied.

--
 +AFw-       +IBw-He was the mildest-mannered man / That ever scuttled ship or |
  `+AFw-       cut a throat.+IB0- +IBQgHA-Lord+IB0- George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don Juan_ |