[TIP] why you should distribute tests with your application / module

Michael Gratton michael at quuxo.com
Wed Sep 17 19:42:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 19:17 -0700, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win XP, Win 2000, Vista.  There are binaries
> that will work on all of them, and binaries that will work on only one
> of them.
>
> Mac OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, ditto.

That's besides the point. If you ship binaries on those platforms, you
should have already run the tests on them (or, given they are
forwards-compatible, on the lowest common denominator). If not, then a
porter will download the source and can run the tests from there.

> -> Mozilla has a large suite of test cases. Do you wish they shipped
> those
> -> so you could run them every time you download Firefox? If they did,
> -> would you?
>
> If I were a Firefox developer, I would want to be able to tell users
> getting weird errors to run the tests, yes.

So I guess your answer to the question is "no - you wouldn't run the
tests unless asked".

Still no point in shipping the tests with the binaries then... :)

/Mike

--
Michael Gratton <michael at quuxo.com>
Quuxo Software <http://web.quuxo.com/>