[TIP] why you should distribute tests with your application / module

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 08:06:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Pete <pfein at pobox.com> wrote:
>> What about fixture data though?  That can easily get larger than the
>> size of the rest of your distribution...
>>
> Why not generate the fixture data on the fly though?

This is a good point about distributing fixture data.  I can see for
an audio based package you might have wav files in your test suite
that you probably wouldn't want to distribute.  As for generating
fixtures on the fly, there could be a speed penalty for large datasets
that would otherwise do just fine in a static text file.  However, I
think in most cases fixture data is pretty small and zip does a good
job at text compression.  Distributing fixtures is probably ok most of
the time.