[TIP] [ANN] Pythoscope 0.2.2

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:03:20 PDT 2008

Hi list,

Almost two weeks have passed, so it's time for a new release.

This release contains both bug fixes and new features. Our recent
development focused on answering a question "how can I use Pythoscope
continuously"? As a form of an answer, from now on Pythoscope analyzes
test modules and uses this information to avoid generating duplicate
test cases. It can also safely append new test cases to existing ones,
without overwriting any modifications a user may have made so far.

To install/update, as usual do:

  $ easy_install pythoscope==0.2.2

or get the source package from
http://pythoscope.org/local--files/download/pythoscope-0.2.2.tar.gz .

Please note that this release is not backwards-compatible in regards
to .pythoscope file, so be sure to remove any old .pythoscope files
generated by 0.2.1 or earlier before using the new version.

Full summary of changes:

* Fixed the inner classes bug (#260924).
* Collector appends new data to .pythoscope file instead of overwriting it.
* Test modules are being analyzed as well.
* Using lib2to3 for static code analysis instead of stdlib's compiler module.
* Generator can append test cases to existing test modules. Preserves
comments and original whitespace.
* Cheetah is no longer a dependency.
* Renamed 'collect' command to 'inspect'.

On another note, since yesterday we have a google group for discussing
everything Pythoscope. To subscribe send email to
pythoscope-subscribe at googlegroups.com or visit
http://groups.google.com/group/pythoscope/.

And at the end I'd like to thank the community for their support and
courage to try Pythoscope at such an early stage of development. Every
comment counts and we're listening, so if you haven't already, try out
Pythoscope and let us know what you think!

Cheers,
mk