[TIP] Testing locale-dependent behaviour

Alexandre Fayolle alexandre.fayolle at logilab.fr
Tue Nov 25 05:58:45 PST 2008

Le Tuesday 25 November 2008 13:35:31 Michael Foord, vous avez écrit :

> Our functional test suite (Windows) changes the machine locale in a
> couple of places (and changes it back again of course) to regression
> tests problems we had with specific locales (usually Unicode errors I
> think). I don't have the details to hand, but could get them if it would
> be useful.

I think the OP's problem is that on a Unix-like machine, locales other
than "C" and "POSIX" are not mandatory, and may not be installed, so
setlocale(3) may return NULL if the requested locale is not available. He is
therefore looking for a way for an unpriviledged user to locally install a
locale which is required by some tests.