[TIP] Web Application Testing Code of Ethics?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Sat Nov 22 13:23:04 PST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 08:42:32AM -0500, Nate Lowrie wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This might be the time to figure out how this process could be integrated
> > into something like buildout, paver, or virtualenv bootstrap, and with
> > testing framework.

https://www.logilab.net/elo/project/apycot tests the building of
debian packages. We developed it for our
needs. https://www.logilab.net/elo/project/apycot/screenshots?selected=4875
will give you an idea of existing tests plug-in. A push to a central
mercurial repository is enough to reschedule the tests of that project.

> apps, but definitely room for improvement.  For web applications, I
> have tried a lot of the Python frameworks including Django, Pylons,
> Zope/Plone,  and CherryPy.  However, all said and done, if I am
> writing a web application I actually do it in Ruby On Rails.  I am not
> Rails has built testing into the framework, and will auto-generate the
> infrastructure for any new testing.  In addition, the database setup
> allows you to specify development, test, and deployment databases.
> The test database can take on additional test data in the migrations.
> Fixturing infrastructure is also automatically setup, the appdev just
> needs to put in the details.  It just makes everything so easy to do
> that coding, especially testing, became much more fun.  I don't have
> deployment anxiety anymore and development is actually speedier.

We have been developping a python framework for the past seven
years. We make a living with it by building (semantic) web
applications. It is LGPL and has been available on the web for a few
weeks now that we have the resources to support setting up a community
around it, but the website and documentation are too ugly for me to
announce it and publish the url just yet. Wait a couple weeks... and
you'll get automated generated tests, database migration, multiple
sources of data, etc.

Hope this will be a reason to get you back to Python for your web
development... I could not resist the peek preview ;)

--
Nicolas Chauvat