[TIP] Web Application Testing Code of Ethics?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Nov 21 03:21:58 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 09:40:54AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> I recommend “Your code isn't done until I have a complete automated
> test suite from you that I can run to see all requirements
> demonstrated working.”

At Logilab, we try to go as far as "your code isn't done until I have
a debian package that installs cleanly on the staging server that's
mirrored from the production server". Then we run the database migration
script on the staging server and run the test suite. Usually it takes
a couple tries to get right and install on the production server with
confidence.

Deployment is actual work. Mistaking deployment with file-copying has
a cost called down-time. The only solution I know is to test the deployment :)

--
Nicolas Chauvat