[TIP] Web Application Testing Code of Ethics?

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:37:56 PST 2008

The web is a weird world, because of the mixture of technologies, like PHP,
javascript, ruby, python, perl, actionscript, etc, that are often quick and
dirty functions in a couple of files.  I have a friend that has to deploy
applications quickly for many of these languages, it isn't me I promise :),
and he often finds that a developer tells him.  Oh, it works, don't worry,
just update the production site...and do it NOW!
About 50% of the time, things break, when he goes to deploy, and it turns
out to be a hardcoded database password that is wrong, absolute paths, and
more.  Other than telling this guy to get another job, which is probably a
wise move, is there a commonly accepted minimum level of testing that a web
developer should ethically subscribe to across all languages?

If I was in his position, I would tell the developer(s) that routinely give
him broken web apps that they were poor developers for not including at
least some basic tests.  These could even be minimal, like a script that
connects to the database and tests a couple of URL parameters for example.
 Is there anything I could point him to that could help convince the CTO and
developers at this company that testing is just ethical?

--
Noah Gift
http://noahgift.com