[TIP] [ANN] Robot Framework

Pekka Laukkanen peke at iki.fi
Tue Jun 24 16:54:01 PDT 2008

Hello,

It seems that the word about Robot Framework has already reached this
list (recent "Alternative to PyFIT" thread) but I figured it's better
to send an official announcement anyway. This is what the project
front page at http://robotframework.org says:

"""Robot Framework is a Python-based keyword-driven test automation
framework for acceptance level testing and acceptance test-driven
development (ATDD). It has an easy-to-use tabular syntax for creating
test cases and its testing capabilities can be extended by test
libraries implemented either with Python or Java. Users can also
create new keywords from existing ones using the same simple syntax
that is used for creating test cases."""

We have been busy setting up the open source project and just got an
official 2.0 release packaged. Next I'm interested in getting the
project listed in "all the right places". I just added it to
http://www.pycheesecake.org/wiki/PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy (thanks
for pointing it out Titus), and would like to get it to PyPI a soon as
possible. I don't have much experience about PyPI or easy_install, so
if someone here is willing to help I'd be really grateful.

Even though the open source project is fresh, the framework itself is
already pretty mature. It is originally based on a prototype I
implemented for my Master's Thesis several years ago (see
http://eliga.fi/writings.html if you are interested) and it has since
been developed further at Nokia Siemens Networks for nearly three
years. We currently have close to 1000 internal users and the
framework is used in totally different projects involving web, Swing,
Telnet, SSH, mobile phones, ...

I'm really exited to finally have the framework open sourced. One of
the nicest things about it is that creating new test libraries
(fixtures in FIT terminology) is really straightforward, and I'm sure
many of the great Python testing tools could be used this way.

Cheers,
    .peke