[TIP] Column questions.

Bob Clancy bob.clancy at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 11:34:40 PDT 2008

I also recall you were expecting a second short-cut book to the
following title which you have already published:

     An Introduction to Testing Web Applications with twill and Selenium

My recollection is that the second short-cut book woold be dealing more
with testing via Domain-Specific Languages (DSLs).  Basically, any
example of "action word" oriented testing via table-driven drivers of
some sort of commonly used web or standalone application (ie:  a chat
room, COM application (yuk, but I'm sure people use these), etc.)

I'm hoping that you have some content from your upcoming book that would
nicely work as a column perhaps saving you some work.  If you show us
how easy/great/flexible twill is for DSL, you won't even have to discss
tools like PyFIT (however, knowing why to choose one tool over another
would be helpful information to many of us, I think).

--
Bob

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at  2:21 PM, C. Titus Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 01:17:56PM -0500, Bob Clancy wrote:
-> Lots probably has already been written on unit testing.  I'd like to
see
-> some-to-much coverage on functional testing.  I'd like to see a
-> comparison between PyFit and other frameworks (nose, twill, etc) that
-> pwople commonly use for functional test automation, and benefits to
-> using each.

Oh, that's easy -- twill is the best, no matter what you're doing.

:)

Seriously, that spurs the thought that a column on the theoretical
distinction between unit and functional testing might be interesting...
as long as it points out that very few people actually care about the
pure distinction!

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu <mailto:ctb at msu.edu>   <mailto:ctb at msu.edu>