[TIP] Unittest Changes

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jul 21 16:40:59 PDT 2008

Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:
> >
> >> Although I doubt I can open source our [unittest extension] code
> >
> > That indicates a possible trap that needs to be avoided.

[…]

> > Michael, could you secure a written public disclaimer from your
> > employer to positively assert that the company expressly disclaims
> > all proprietary interest in the work you do on unittest?
> >
> > The disclaimer doesn't need to be long, but it does need to be
> > unquestionably the authoritative position of the company, and it
> > does need to be explicit about what work is covered.
>
> I seriously doubt there is likely to be any problem - but it is
> definitely worth talking it through with them. Thanks

I also doubt there's likely to be a problem with the *current*
management. However, the current management isn't what I'm warning
against.

Acting now, to get that current non-hostile policy specified in
writing, will make your work on Python's unittest much safer from a
*future* management, who could easily be hostile to free software.

--
 \           “'Tis strange, — but true; for truth is always strange; / |
  `\    Stranger than fiction.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don |