[TIP] Unittest Changes

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 16:19:32 PDT 2008

Pekka Laukkanen wrote:
> 2008/7/21 Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>:
>
>> Pekka Laukkanen wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Having assertions available as static methods in a separate module.
>>> This would a) make using them with other code easier, and b) make
>>> lines shorter since there would be no need for "self.". With JUnit 4
>>> and Java 5 you can do """import static org.junit.Assert.assertNull"""
>>> and this addition to Python would allow similar """from
>>> unittest.asserts import assertNone""".
>>>
>> Interesting idea. I wonder if it could be done without altering the
>> semantics of the existing API?
>>

> There could either be a separate 'asserts' module or 'unittest' could
> become a higher level module with 'asserts' as a submodule. The latter
> change would require changing 'unittest.py' to 'unittest/__init__.py',
> but that should not break backwards compatibility. After adding
> 'asserts' (sub)module, assert methods in 'unittest.TestCase' could
> just call appropriate functions in 'asserts'.

Would be worth an experiment to see if it works.

> Nice that you like the idea. I've always wondered why
> 'unittest.TestCase' has those assert methods when in JUnit they are in
> separate class. 'unittest' is a pretty direct JUnit port (even
> according to its docs) so I wonder why the design has been changed.
>

>>> 2) Having PEP-8-style aliases for asserts. PEP-8 reminds that
>>> consistency within a module is most important, but now my test modules
>>> have inconsistent lines like
>>> """self.assertEquals(do_something_interesting, expected_value)""".
>>> Asserts can be also used with non-test code (and above point would
>>> make that even easier), and then adhering PEP-8 is even more
>>> important.
>>>
>> Off the table for standard library inclusion, see the BDFL pronouncement on
>> Python-Dev.
>>

> Do you mean "Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)" [1]?
> It only mentions that old camelCase methods can't be removed and API
> can't change in backwards incompatible manner, but there's nothing
> about new PEP-8-style aliases. The Python-Dev discussion was too long
> for me to read fully, so I might have missed another pronouncement,
> though.
>
> [1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-July/081263.html

And this follow up:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-July/081269.html

Specifically:

 > Presumably new methods should *not* follow PEP8 but be internally
consistent
 > with the existing API?

Right again.

PEP8'ification of unittest methods - old and new - really is off the
table for standard library inclusion (honestly).

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/