[TIP] Unittest Changes

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 20 17:51:10 PDT 2008

Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> The original intention was to PEP-8'ify and slim down the
> duplication between 'fail*' and 'assert*' methods in the API. This
> caused a great deal of controversy, and Guido ruled that these parts
> of the proposed changes should not be acted on - but some new
> features could be added, following only the 'assert*' naming pattern
> for new test methods.

I would also interpret the pronouncement as permitting PEP 8
conformance for any *new* names in the API. I'd certainly hope to
never have another non-PEP-8 name added in any standard library
module.

--
 \     “If you can't annoy somebody there is little point in writing.” |
  `\                                                    —Kingsley Amis |