[TIP] [ANN] Fixture Goes 1.0 (tool for testing with data)

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:53:45 PDT 2008

I've just pushed 1.0 -- the *I Heart Data* release -- of fixture, a
Python module for loading and referencing test data. It is used
heavily at my work in two test suites: one for the functional tests of
an ETL framework and another for a Pylons + Elixir (SQLAlchemy) + Ext
JS web application.

http://farmdev.com/projects/fixture/

easy_install -U fixture

Highlights of This Release

    * SQLAlchemy 0.4 now finally works as a nice fixture backend
(0.5beta support is shaky, but mostly there).
    * Even more documentation! The new docs
(http://farmdev.com/projects/fixture/) have been completely
reorganized thanks to the venerable Sphinx. Of special note is a new
tutorial that shows how to use fixture to test a Pylons + SQLAlchemy
application: http://farmdev.com/projects/fixture/using-fixture-with-pylons.html

Many thanks to those who submitted issues and patches, especially to
Manuel Aristarán, sokann, Brian Lee Hawthorne, and Jeffrey Cousens.

What's next? The fixture command that generates DataSet classes from a
real database needs some attention. It doesn't work with SQLAlchemy
0.5beta yet and could work better with SQLAlchemy based data models in
general. Aside from that, fixture seems to have stabilized for my apps
at work so I'll be waiting to hear from the community about what other
areas to improve on.

-Kumar