[TIP] new (python 2.6) fn: gettrace

m h sesquile at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:03:49 PST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 8:55 PM, Titus Brown <titus at caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:34:16PM -0700, m h wrote:
> ->
> -> If you want to do path coverage you need to be able to mark every path
> -> through the code.
> -> The current method of line coverage doesn't allow one to trace short
> -> circuiting in boolean operations.
>
> OK, that's what I thought you meant -- but (to be pedantic) describing
> a feature request as a "bug" is a bit confusing ;).

No problem.  Hope I didn't come off as discounting the work done by
the current coverage tools at all.  I'm grateful for what we currently
have.

> I don't know how hard this would be to add to Py 2.6 or Py 3k, but
> regardless my guess is that you would need to do it yourself. You
> *could* propose it as a GSoC project...
>
> Hmm, or we could sit down and try to hack it out at PyCon.  That might
> be a fun way to spend an evening or two!

I'd be up to that (will be at pycon).  Let me put out some feelers on
py-dev and perhaps a pypy mailing list to see if I(we) can start off
of existing work.  I really don't want to write a python compiler, but
am assuming tracing at that level won't be supported in cpython, but
perhaps might in pypy....

cheers,

-matt