[TIP] automated test generation

Matt Good matt at matt-good.net
Mon Feb 25 12:42:28 PST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 6:14 AM, Mauricio Seiji wrote:

> Hi, do you know if there is any automated test generation tool for
> Pyhton (it doesn't need to be free). I've used Codepro for java and
> it was quite useful, but I haven't found anything similar for python
> so far.

I don't know of anything quite like that for Python, but PeckCheck may
be of interest:
http://www.accesscom.com/~darius/software/clickcheck.html

It doesn't generate code, but it generates data sets based on a
specification to test a broad array of inputs on your code.

I looked over the Codepro documentation, but I'm still a bit unclear
on what it's really doing.  I'm skeptical of the quality of tests it
would generate.  It seems like testing is something that requires the
developer to write things that test the *intent* of the function which
is impossible for a computer to guess.  Also, if there are bugs in the
original implementation a generated test could enforce the existence
of these bugs rather than catching them.  Maybe I'm missing something,
but code generators generally make me uneasy.

-- Matt