[TIP] Unit testing your subclasses

Paul Hildebrandt Paul.Hildebrandt at disneyanimation.com
Thu Aug 28 23:08:29 PDT 2008

Michal and I were musing on how to handle unit testing subclasses in
pythoscope (http://pythoscope.org).  We were thinking about them in two
ways.
1. They are internal to the class and some people may not want them tested.
2. They should be treated like a method in that they will be tested in
the main classes unit test.

The difference between the views is that one way we would always
generate unit tests.  The other way we would make some type of
configuration parameter that would tell pythoscope to generate tests for
them or not.  If we go the configuration way we need to determine if we
should default it off or on.

Thoughts?

BTW, some of the same thoughts will probably apply to how we handle
private methods.

Paul