[TIP] Pythoscope proposal

Matt Good matt at matt-good.net
Tue Aug 19 18:18:55 PDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Sylvain Thénault wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:10:52AM -0700, Paul Hildebrandt wrote:
>> Michal, Titus and I were talking about how nice it would be to use
>> some
>> of logilab's libraries in pythoscope.  We were a little concerned
>> about
>> the licensing.  We were thinking of going MIT with pythoscope and the
>> logilab stuff is GPL.  I am no licensing expert, do you know if we
>> can
>> we maintain an MIT license and use your GPL libraries?
>
> If (L)GPL is a problem, we'll see if we can do something such as dual
> licensing.

I'd recommend just picking the most liberal license you're comfortable
with.  The uses permitted by an MIT license are a superset of the uses
permitted by the [L]GPL, so offering it under both has no advantage
over just offering it under the MIT license.

If astng is released under the LGPL rather than GPL it's fine to
import and use it from pythonscope.  Although, if you would like to
have a chance of getting it back into the Python stdlib in some 3.x
release you'd need to use a license like MIT or BSD.

There's also Armin's high-level wrapper to the _ast module released
under the Python License:
http://lucumr.pocoo.org/cogitations/2008/03/30/high-level-ast-module-for-python/

It doesn't have a fall-back to the compiler module yet, but I'm sure
that could be added if you need an alternative AST API.

-- Matt