[TIP] Pythoscope proposal

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:41:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Sylvain Thénault
<sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:29:55PM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> Well, the question is if you want to deal with a smaller group of
>> user's now or become obsolete later. Realize that if you use the
>> compiler package you will not work with Python 3.0 at all. And once
>> 2.6 comes out you will have the latest stable version and one version
>> back with the _ast module.
>
> FYI, I'm currently working on logilab-astng (the code representation
> used by pylint) which is originally based on the compiler package to
> make it works with the new _ast as well and provides somewhat compatible
> ast whichever backend used.

Yeah, that's what I thought about when reading Brett's reply. Making a
library on top of compiler or _ast, whichever is available, is a nice
solution. We'd probably have to make our own, but since you're already
working on it - the better. :-)

Cheers,
mk