[TIP] Fwd: An OO API for doctest / unittest integration...

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:25:56 PDT 2008

Hello... this is my first message I send to this list... so I'ld like
to introduce myself... briefly. I knew Python since about one year
ago... and I fell in love with it right away. I spend most of my time
developping some libraries for the FLiOOPS project [2]... and this
post is related to a simple test support module developped to ensure
the quality of our work in the aforementioned project.

As you can see below, I posted a similar message to python-dev [13],
but there was "general consensus" about using this list for discussing
these topics, so... let's be it.

Before submitting this message I read some threads about doctest and
unittest [11] in this list. When talking about the fact that "there
are some aspects that can
make doctests less readable than plain unittest.TestCases" Its author
(Andrew Bennetts I think...) said something like this:

> - A doctest file tends to accumulate context, so that by the end of the file the
>   reader can't easily determine which preceding examples are revelant and
>   which aren't.  By stuffing several, often dozens, of tests into the one test,
>   interdependencies aren't clear.  (The lack of isolation also harms the
>   reliability/correctness of the tests, but my point here is that it harms
>   readability too.)

> - Certain operations are simply more awkward in a doctest.  Reusing common > set
>   up and tear down is harder (you can't just subclass or import from a doctest),
>   so people tend to just keep adding to the existing doctest file rather than
>   making a new file when they should.  Again the result is long, rambling
>   doctest files that are both poor tests and poor documentation.

> - It's harder to name and talk about a specific failing test case when your test
>   case is example 27, about, oh, half-way down foo-feature.txt, compared to
>   "FooTestCase.test_feature_with_all_knobs_turned_off".  This is frustrating
>   when communicating with fellow developers about a test failure, and is
>   exacerbated by the lack of correlation between reported line numbers in errors
>   and actual line numbers in the file.  (This also mildly irritating when trying
>   to run just the failing test for purposes of debugging and fixing the
>   failure.)

I would be very happy if you read about this proposal, try the module,
perform your own assessments, and provide us (the project) with some
feedback about whether this module can be a solution (alternative) to
all or part of the issues mentioned above and also those mentioned in
[12], [14], [15], [16], and maybe somewhere else (but I think this
message is longer than I wanted... up to this point). The module also
helps to separate the match made for individual doctest examples in
the context of the unittest run.

If we all like it -initially I do... ;-) - and think it is helpful, it
could be incorporated into stdlib as an alternative to the actual
unittest API offerred by doctest since Python 2.4. But perhaps there
is still a long way before this, in case it ever happens.

It would be nice to have some (positive / negative) feedback from
you... it feels too bad being so lonely in this world ;-/ ... and I
think this list is the right place.