[TIP] A rare philosophical thought

Carl Trachte ctrachte at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 10:29:38 PDT 2008

On 8/3/08, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
> -> I know I am not one of the more hard core developers in this
>
> -> conversation (I am a mining professional), but . .
>  -> Right now, IronPython runs unittest fine.  I work for folks that
>  -> demand use of the dot net framework.  IronPython is as close to that
>  -> as I can get without losing the Pythony goodness we all know and love.
>  ->  Until nose (and coverage tools like figleaf) are available for
>  -> IronPython (correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a major yank to use them
>  -> with that implementation of the language now), unittest is it.
>  -> I'm was never keen on the whole OO or bust philosophy of Java and C#
>  -> myself, but IronPython is written in C#, so folks using that
>  -> implementation of Python *might* (I'm not saying Michael is) be biased
>  -> toward that approach.
>  -> The IronPython tail definitely shouldn't be wagging the CPython dog.
>  -> I guess it's possible to stick with an older version (of unittest) if
>  -> unittest were yanked from Python 2.4 today (I know this is
>  -> impossible).  The code for unittest is still in pure Python.
>

> Were a new unit testing system added to the stdlib, it would have to be
>  available in or compatible with the Other Pythons, of course.  (nose and
>  py.test are both written in Python, incidentally.)

Titus, sorry - I have to admit my ignorance as to whether nose would
run in IronPython - the IronPython community seems to prefer unittest.
 I will try to mess with nose a bit more (and possibly post to the
IronPython group looking for people that have had success with it).
The coverage tools are still a no-go in IronPython (based on what I've
read - I posted questions to the IronPython list specifically about
this).
To the interpreter . . .