[TIP] A rare philosophical thought

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Aug 2 16:38:04 PDT 2008

"C. Titus Brown" <ctb at msu.edu> writes:

> And let me say,
>
> I HATE UNITTEST.

I love the fact that it exists and works as advertised.

> UNITTEST IS EVIL.

The many good points of the standard library unittest module have
allowed me to write far better Python code than I would otherwise have
written. It's not evil in my view.

It's ugly. It's crufty. It's not PEP-8-conformant. It's mostly
unmaintained. It can lead to rather baroque unit test modules. But it
also has many good features, and I don't think any of the bad ones
make it "evil".

> UNITTEST NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

Entirely agreed on this point. I think, though, that you'll find
little immediate consensus on what to replace it with :-)

--
 \       “It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do |
  `\       is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument |