[TIP] form field name length limitations and twill

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:48:41 PDT 2008

I made a stupid mistake. I looked at the script made by the tester and
once I expanded the partial field name to the full field name, the
script completes successfully.

However, that does bring up a related issue: Is there a way to get
showforms to display the full field name instead of just the first 20
characters? Below is an example, take a look at #4, and 5, note the
partial name and ellipsis. If we can get the full field names then we
can stay in python/twill the whole time instead of having to use the
web developer extension on firefox to grab form details.

Form name=normal (#3)
## ## __Name__________________ __Type___ __ID________ __Value__________________
1     currentStep                                   hidden    (None)
    Name and Describe Term
2     wizardStepToken                           hidden    (None)
123213213123123123123123
3     submitted                                     hidden    (None)       true
4     Companynm.Web.Prdc ...              text      company ...
5     Companynm.Web.Prdc ...              textarea  company ...
6  1  submitbutton                                submit    (None)       Cancel
7  2  submitbutton                                submit    (None)
  Previous
8  3  submitbutton                                submit    (None)       Next

>  Please show us one example of a field that causes twill to raise and exception.
>
>  Cheers,
>  mk

Thanks,
Purcell