[TIP] form field name length limitations and twill

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:07:31 PDT 2008

I am a python newbie and we just started working with python and
twill, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:

Is there a default limit to how long a form field name showforms will
process? If so, is there an easy way to increase this length?

The app that we are testing has extremely long names and IDs, all
prefixed with a long string that gives an idea of what part of the app
they are tied to. Unfortunately it looks like twill or the twill
library reads the first 20 characters and notes that it is common to
more than one field and raises an exception.

Is there any way I can get around this or do I need to change all of
the field names and IDs in the app?

I have done a tiny bit of digging and I know that showforms actually
calls browser.showforms, so far I do not see anything that specifies
how long a name it will read in.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Purcell