[TIP] database regression testing

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:11:57 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:44:28PM -0400, Satchidanand Haridas wrote:
-> On Apr 9, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Nate Lowrie wrote:
-> > I am in the middle of developing a complex business application for a
-> > client.  I am using an agile approach for development.  I have almost
-> > completed Iteration 2.  My weak link now is the database.  I want to
-> > take an agile approach to it, however my knowledge of test tools for
-> > databases is somewhat limited.  Do we have something similar to
-> > SQLUnit in Python?  Any recommendations?  I would prefer not to write
-> > Java if I can avoid it... If we have something that could interface
-> > with Unittest that would be great.
-> >
-> > Nate L.
->
-> While I don't have any specific suggestions for testing SQL, I've a
-> question: Does your database layer contain business logic? If not and
-> your SQL queries are for mainly for simple CRUD operations, one way
-> (that you may have already considered) might be to write a python
-> wrapper around your SQL queries and then testing the wrapper using
-> python unit-testing framework. It should be possible to test stored
-> procedures in this manner as well depending on which database/database-
-> adapter you are using. Of course you won't have the benefit of code-
-> coverage tools in this case, but you have tests none-the-less, which
-> is always good.
->
-> Satchit

Nate, I'm curious -- what specific functionality do you need in your
database test tools?  I do what Satchit is suggesting myself.

cheers,