[TIP] Writing Separate Functional Tests

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Wed Nov 21 07:38:39 PST 2007

--- Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a gigantic threaded beast I need to test, and I want to write
>
> functional tests that supplement the doctests and unittests, but
> wanted some advice on the proper way to do this.  I have not seen
> much
> documentation on writing non-web functional tests, my tool is a CLI
> tool. The basic thing I want to verify is that my tool creates a XML
>
> file with the information I would expect to be there.  For example,
> is
> there a selenium equivalent for command line tools?
>
> Noah

One functional testing tool I know which is CLI based is TextTest
(<http://texttest.carmen.se/>). I used it in the past. It can be a pain
to set up initially, but once you get the hang of it it works pretty
well. I think there's room for improvement, i.e. for creating the
'Selenium' equivalent for testing CLI-based, text-outputting,
log-creating tools.

Grig