[TIP] Which mock object framework should I use?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Nov 18 09:13:37 PST 2007

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
>>> You can add Mocker <http://labix.org/mocker> to the list. Looks very
>>> well documented and thought out.
>> Ah yes, an omission from my side, I had actually looked at it. I agree
>> it looks good, but I'd appreciate any pointers to practical experience.
>
> You won't find many pointers for practical experience with Mocker yet,
> as I've released it publicly only a week ago or so.  Even then, I do
> believe it has a superset of the features of all the others, and a few
> more, in a well packed way.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions about it.

I'm having trouble getting 0.9 installed. :-/

I'm in a virtualenv, and I did

  $ easy_install mocker

This produced a .egg file (downloaded from launchpad) without any Python
code in it, just the EGG-INFO. :-/

Then I downloaded the .tar.bz2 manually and ran

  $ python setup.py install

Same effect - 'mocker' is not importable and no .py files end up in
site-packages.

However,

  $ python setup.py develop

does work. I wonder if this is because your setup.py doesn't have a
'packages' option in the call to setup(), but I'm not sure since I've
never tried to distribute an egg that consists of just one module
(mocker.py). Come to think of it, I've only ever made eggs with
namespace packages. :)

Having an easy_install'able version would be a prerequisite for me to
use this, as I need to be able to declare it a dependency of other
packages. Hopefully, it's an easy fix though.

Martin