[TIP] Which mock object framework should I use?

Aaron Maxwell amax at redsymbol.net
Sat Nov 17 12:27:12 PST 2007

I have really only used pymock, so I can't compare it to the others listed.
For what it is worth, however, it's a pretty good mocking library, at least
as good as ones I have used in other languages.  The record/replay/expect
interface is pretty fine grained.  The functionality is fairly complete: you
can even mock-override standard library functions (like, say, os.listdir).

One feature I really like: you can define and pass an arbitrary function to
expectAndReturn.  This is useful when you a need a mock method to behave in a
more complex way than can be specified using the default command interface.
(It's a feature I have missed in other language libraries.  Since python sees
functions as first-class objects, it's not as hard to implement as a feature
in a python mocking library, so maybe the others in the list have it as
well.)

The docs for it could be better.  They're not bad, just... could be better.

I'd be interested to hear people's experiences with the others as well.

-Aaron

--
Aaron Maxwell
http://redsymbol.net

Business Owners and Self-Employed:  You're NOT Alone!
The Business Butler - http://businessbutler.us