[TIP] How to concisely describe TDD

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 08:44:07 PST 2007

Hello list,

I'll be giving a lecture on agile on my university this month. I want
to mention TDD as well, but time constraints make it hard to do. Do
you have any ideas on how to describe TDD with its red-green-refactor
cycles in <5 minutes?

I would like to show some real code as well. I'm considering RSpec and
doctest, can't decide yet which can be easier to understand. Note that
the audience may not be familiar with dynamic languages or testing
whatsoever. I also have a problem in describing TDD as a design
activity to people accustomed to UML for design and code for
implementation. Showing them code may give them wrong impression that
I'm doing implement-with-no-design thing, and I'm precisely trying to
avoid that. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers,
mk