[TIP] Mock objects in testing object composition?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri May 18 13:14:54 PDT 2007

-> > Since this is a testing list, I think it would be helpful to be
-> > careful about jargon so as not to sow confusion.  I think we should
-> > distinguish between stubs and mocks, providing the link to:
-> >
-> >    http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/mocksArentStubs.html
-> >
-> > when there is confusion, assuming of course, that Fowler is correct
-> > in his characterization. :)
->
-> I dislike the distinction he draws. Where you are creating simple
-> objects that pretend to be other classes for the purposes of testing, by
-> normal usage of English you *are* creating mock objects.
->
-> I think he has hijacked the term for something which is actually far
-> less common...

+1