[TIP] Testing multi-threaded applications

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:30:11 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Bernhard Mulder <bwmulder at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Is there some other recommended way to deal with this issue?

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but generally the advice
I've seen is to simply not use threads.  For instance, use asynchronous
single-threaded alternatives like asyncore, or a solution that involves
coroutines and microthreads like Stackless/PyPy.  I'd love to do this kind
of thing myself, but the problem I've run into is that so much legacy or
third-party code out there is already thread-based that integration becomes
very difficult.  If you don't have to deal too much with legacy or
third-party code, though, this may be a viable solution.

- Atul