[TIP] zope.testing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Mar 25 07:58:40 PDT 2007

The recent "unittest and TDD" thread reminded me that I should let
y'all know about the zope.testing package, especially it's test
runner.  This is the test runner we use and, if nothing else, it
should server as an interesting set of features to include in other
projects:

    http://www.python.org/pypi/zope.testing#test-runner

Some notes:

- This test runner started as a tool created in 2002.

- The documentation states that the primary feature is finding
tests.  I think for purposes of this list, the development support
features are a lot more important.  Things like:

   o Post-mortem debugging support

   o Tools for debugging memory leaks

   o Coverage integration

- The layer model is helpful when tests need to run in an environment
that is much richer than the standard library.  Basically, you can
have a setup that is done for a collection of tests, providing a
baseline that individual tests setup from and tear down to.

- The test-finding features really need to be updated to work with eggs.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org