[TIP] PyBehave ?!?

Raphael Marvie raphael.marvie at lifl.fr
Fri Mar 16 01:21:14 PDT 2007

This is my point. Like Titus says in response to this thread we cannot
expect the end user to write the spec on her own. However when I write
the spec with the end user, I wish it can be as domain level as possible
for her to understand the spec without explanation.

Using a set of "templates", structure of spec would be easier to respect
and the whole would be filled with less structure sentences. Watching
again the Google talk about BDD I was wondering how far we could go
using sentences templates in order to generate most of the test (I do
not expect to reach 100% test generation from spec except in the most
trivial cases).

Sentence templates could rely on the "should be, should equal, should
have, etc." set of operations as well as some form of interactions. Then
we would have a domain specific language for (a subset of) the
specification of expectations (I do not like too much the word
requirements).

Some people have worked on the generation of tests from semi-formal
requirement definition (generating test automatas from the
specification, but it only dealt well with small automatas -- complexity
explosion).

Cheers,
r.

Michał Kwiatkowski wrote:

> Just another idea. Raphael mentioned tests syntax for common use for
> developers and end-users. Neat thing would be making a script which
> given the specification on input would generate tests template to fill
> in by developer with code. Kumar's example above is a good
> presentation of this - simply reverse the order of spec and code. ;)
> With this in place end-users could be not merely consumers of
> specifications but contributors as well. It's questionable if the spec
> itself is not too vague - developer given a spec would probably need
> additional information to prepare a good test case. In a way or
> another I think this is idea worth thinking about.
>
> Cheers,
> mk

Raphael Marvie, PhD                http://www.lifl.fr/~marvie/
Maître de Conférences / Associate Professor  @  LIFL -- IRCICA
Directeur du Master Informatique Professionnel spécialité IAGL
Head of Master's in Software Engineering     +33 3 28 77 85 83