[TIP] unittest & TDD

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sun Mar 11 22:03:00 PDT 2007

-> Py3k is a chance to fix long-standing design mistakes, and I consider
-> unittest's core design a mistake from start to finish. This effort
-> started off with an intention merely to tweak and prod the existing
-> unittest, an attempt to make it easier to compose a number of the
-> unittest extensions I'd written over the years. #1 on my personal list
-> of grudges was "inability to compose extensions without massive
-> rewrites". To that end, I poked, tweaked, prodded and twisted the
-> original design until I was left with something that resembled the old
-> unittest in name only. This didn't start out as a rewrite -- it just
-> ended up that way.

;)

-> That said, I'm working on a backwards compatibility layer that should
-> allow most existing unittest-based test suites to work without
-> additional modifications. This portion is still in its infancy, but
-> it's a high priority.

nose is extensible, runs unittest tests, supports 'setup.py test', and
is used by a number of people.

py.test fits all of the above criteria too.

So, do we need a third? ;)