[TIP] unittest & TDD

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Mar 11 21:13:03 PDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:56:37 -0500, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>I'm not so much looking for code as I am for ideas.
>
> [snip]
>
>So, let me have any ideas you may have, any grievances and grudges you
>may hold against the existing unittest.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Joel, and I certainly don't think he's
right all the time, but this whole idea gives me a strong urge to link to
this post:

(so I just did).

The stdlib unittest module is not the greatest software around, but it's far
from unfixable.  Please don't write something new.  Please improve what we
have already.  Please don't use Py3k as a reason to discard what we already
have, particularly for a library where the changes in Py3k will make not a
single difference.

Collecting a list of grievances and grudges about the unittest module is a
great idea anyway, but such a list can be used to fix what we have instead
of as a basis for starting over.

Jean-Paul