[TIP] 'Testing in Zope 3' case study

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Thu Mar 8 08:00:05 PST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
>
>> No, I'm not working on that, but I was thinking it would be very
>> interesting if the Zope 3 guys could write such a thing. I bet many
>> people would learn a lot of new things (I find the discussion of
>> doctest vs. unittest very enlightening, most of all because of the
>> contributions from Jim and Benji).
>
> What would such a thing look like?

In my mind it would be a document (perhaps with accompanying screen
cast) that overviews the general ethos and practices of the Zope 3
community culture with regard to testing.  First pass:

   - zope.testing's test runner's features and usage
     * test selection
     * layers
     * running un-tear-down-able layers in a subprocess
     * postmortem debugger
     * coverage
     * assistance in finding memory leaks
     * running tests under pychecker
     * selecting diff styles for test failure displays
     * test levels
     * pyc handling options
     * repeat runs and randomized runs
   - doctests
     * preference for whole-file doctests
     * example unit tests
     * example functional tests
     * overview of testbrowser
     * ReST
     * footnotes
     * the ReNormalizer
     * running the same doctest multiple times in different
        environments (i.e. once normally, again in a virtual
        hosting setup to find VH bugs)
   - how demo storages are used in functional tests
   - Selenium
     * demo storage push/pop with Selenium
     * zc.selenium as an alternative syntax to HTML tables
     * not having to build a master suite by hand

I'm sure there are several other things that should be included (and
some listed above that should be elided because not enough people would
care).
--
Benji York
http://benjiyork.com