[TIP] Doctest or unitest?

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Wed Mar 7 13:43:41 PST 2007

Michael Foord wrote:
> What about the ellipsis needed for indented blocks - there seemed to be
> plenty in the example you pointed me to.

Those are actually prompts, but right, those would be alleviated by the
(currently science fiction) doctest extension that would allow you to
say "here's some code with no examples, just execute it".

> You should try the autocomplete and source browsing features of Wing
> (Eclipse / PyDev is pretty good as well).

I'm personally not an IDE kind of guy, Vim does those sorts of things
for me.  I am glad IDEs exist for those who like them.

> Control-click taking you to definition is invaluable as well.

I agree it's invaluable, I just do it with Control-] (Vim supports ctags
and cscope).  Emacs can do similar things of course (with lots of crazy
meta key combinations :).

> We also
> have Wing scripted so that we can run the unit tests associated with any
> file at the push of a button.

Cool.  I can see how that would be handy.
--
Benji York
http://benjiyork.com