[TIP] testing class properties and internal methods

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 02:20:58 PST 2007

Max Ischenko wrote:

> On 3/6/07, *Michael Foord* <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
> <mailto:fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>> wrote:
>

>     It is often easier to specify public API behaviour in terms of calling
>     down to private methods - and then mock out these private methods
>     in the
>     test of the public API. The private methods can then be tested
>     separately.
>

> In a situation like this, I often prefer to factor out these private
> methods into class on it own which is then tested separatedly.
> Delegation is cool.

When I say 'Public API', I mean the API of classes that are to be
consumed directly *within our own application* (i.e. by the other
classes and modules).

We do have a scripting API which will be 'truly public', for which we
will probably implement proxy objects that only expose the public API (a
workaround since Python lacks real private members...).

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml